Blog 4

  1. Composing Movement- This video showed an emphasis on movement rather than dialogue and how it can convey more than words. I find it interesting how Kurosawa broke his movement down into four categories: weather, group, individual, and camera. I leaned toward weather and individual as it created more intimate and emotional scenes. Though, I see the importance and variation the other two add to film.
  2. Editing Space & Time- I find it interesting that not only the shot but the editing can be used to convey ideas and emotions. The speed of frames and the types of transitions interested me the most especially how in "O-Hi-O"(not sure how you spell it), as the girl became more awake her ghost caught up to her and the frames jumped faster.
  3. How to Structure a Video Essay- My main takeaway from this video was that you need to constantly keep the energy up in a film. The best ways to do that is to follow a thought process of "but", "therefore", and "meanwhile back at the ranch"
  4. Poetry- To me this one of the more confusing videos. To me, he was trying to say to focus on details and simplicity to convey complex ideas. Poetry is not always what you think it is and you decide what it means so it becomes more ambiguous. 

Comments

Popular Posts